The Rosario Beach Tide Pools are one of the most popular places for groups and classes to visit in the park. During the spring and summer, thousands of people flock to this small and fragile ecosystem, making it challenging to preserve them for everyone to enjoy. On May 16, 1995, during a -3.2 tide, 29 school buses, numerous vans and vehicles, carrying an estimated 1,200 people came to visit the Rosario Tide pools. At the end of the day, little life was left after the trampling. The tide pools are still recovering. For this reason, a reservation is required for group visits to the tide pools.
- Click here to view tide tables for Deception Pass (the tide pools are best viewed at a -2 or lower).
- Because the tide pools are very popular, the park cannot guarantee your first choice of date/time. The sooner you book, the better.
- A Group Visit Request Form can be found at the bottom of this page.
- Due to excessive trampling in the past, we have installed a rope trail system at the tide pools. It is important that all members of your group stay on the trail. Please ensure that your students/group members understand this, and (if necessary) that you have enough chaperones to keep your group under control.
- The tide pools are an excellent outdoor classroom. Additionally, there is now an indoor classroom adjacent to the tide pools equipped with microscopes and other educational tools. Please contact Interpretive Services if you are interested in using the Rosario Classroom during your visit.
Without support provided by the Foundation, Deception Pass would not have the staffing to keep the tide pools open for groups and school visits. For this reason, a donation of $2 is requested for each student/attendee.
For scheduling please contact Deception Pass Interpretive Services at (360) 675-3767 ext. 31 or email@example.com.
Tide Pool Prep Materials:
- Group Visit Request Form
- Stewardship Agreement
- Tides and Intertidal Life
- The Rosario Story
- Discover Pass Information for Schools and Groups